Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Phase 1: Motivation Still Active

Finally, I'm here.  Finally, I've made it to the jumping-off point from which I will do and accomplish more than I expected.  For those of you who don't know, I checked into The Basic School (TBS) in Quantico, Virginia on 29 April (Delta Company, 5th Plt). The first week has been a whole lot of in-processing/medical/admin work, but we're getting into the swing of things.  

Last week, we all completed our swim qualification (Beginner and Intermediate), to include a 250 meter swim (in cammies and boots), treading/floating in water for ten minutes (we used our blouses and trousers as flotation devices), a 50m walk/swim with kevlar (helmet), flak jacket, assault pack, and rifle (all the gear was fixed together), and a gear-dump in deep water. Y'all know I'm very much a land-dweller, but the swim qual was awesome. It tested me in an area in which I am unaccustomed, so I love that. Next time, I'll loosen the double knot in my boots before I try to take them off under water...

Initial PFT was yesterday (scored a 295...one dad-gum pull-up short) so it's good to have that under our belts. We're finishing up administrative work for the rest of the week, so y'all can count on more enthralling stories about how I tactically maneuvered my way through the Naval hospital in order to complete all dental screens (Objective A) and attain five pairs of portholes (Objective B).

God has so cleverly prepared me for and placed me in this situation. Of course, if I was a perfect officer, I wouldn't need TBS, so I'm hungry for learning and growth. We have phenomenal staff and enlisted advisers who are invested in us and our contribution to the Marine Corps as effective, competent servant leaders.

These six months have already been guarded and blessed. Not just for me, but for the entire company. I am encouraged and motivated by my peers and know we are going to accomplish and learn not only from the staff and instructors, but from each other. It's finally time to do work, y'all, and I couldn't ask for a greater opportunity. Here's to six months of miserable days, long nights, and whole heck of a lot work. This is what we asked for. This is what will separate the good from the best: the boot Lieutenants from the Marine Officers. Let's get it.

"Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, do not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden terror of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught. Do not withold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it."
 --Proverbs 3:23-27

Here's my address in case you're interested:

2ndLt Jennie L Pearson
Delta Co, 5 Plt
The Basic School
24164 Belleau Ave
Quantico, VA 22134

(No pictures yet, but be expecting some as the POI progresses)

1 comment:

  1. You will become an awesome Officer of Marines.
    As I once told you, "It is an awesome and terrible responsibility." God has, is, and always will order your steps.
    Semper Fi Marine!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog