Friday, December 23, 2011

In Spite of Ourselves


Okay so being at home leaves me with some time on my hands.  Today’s blog really pertains to the women-folk out there but guys, you can back me up on this one. 
Beth Moore had these words for me today: “Many influential women teach the hatred of men almost as a religion.  The mentality that all men are bad is neither accurate not healthy.  Individuals commit crimes—not entire genders.” 
Don’t lie.  You’ve either said it or heard it, “I hate boys.”  At some point or another either ourselves or someone we know and love has been deeply hurt by a man in their life.  This doesn’t mean men are bad! 
Let me be frank.  Certainly, there are some bad people in this world and it’s just a fact of life that at one point we’ll either a) be affected by those people or b) be one of those people.  It will happen.  While being affected by a bad person (who happens to be a man) may be out of our control, when we allow ourselves to become man-haters and convince ourselves we are ruined because of that one experience that becomes our own problem.  That reaction is something we can control. 
Maybe our bad experience with a man is not a singular one.  We keep returning over and over and over to the same bad relationship, the same hook-up, the same violation of our beliefs or standards we have for ourselves.  That can add just as much devastation on our hearts as one awful experience. 
Instead of blaming all guys and pointing fingers at the males, I genuinely want to know how they feel.  To those guys who respect and honor women, how hurtful is it to hear a female say, “I hate guys.  All of them are worthless?”  For me, I think maybe I can compare it to, “Everyone who joins the military is a hate monger,” or, “People who own guns are just scared, insecure, evil people,” or even, “Sorority girls are all slutty airheads.”  Those are hurtful words, but they’re uttered every day! 
Y’all, I’m so far from perfect it’s almost funny.  I just want y’all to know if you’re struggling with your feelings toward men (or women) I’ve been there too.  I allowed myself to be dissatisfied with either the single life or being happy with one person. I’ve had some guys do some rotten things to me and I’ve done some awful things back to guys.  That set the foundation for a really bad attitude toward relationships going into college.  I got to SMU and I’ll admit it, I was one of those girls who said, “There are no decent guys at SMU.  I’ll never find anyone worth dating here.”  Sorry guys, I was so incredibly wrong.  While at SMU, I’ve met so many amazing guys that have so much more on their mind that being in the right fraternity or partying the hardest as often as possible.  Girls aren’t at the forefront of their mind, and that’s surprisingly comforting.  Now I’m the one who doesn’t feel worthy of such an honorable guy!
I may or may not find my soul mate at in college.  Shoot, I may or may not ever even be married (however much I may plan for it).  However, I promise you whatever happens I will not blame on a hatred of men or my experiences with them.  Like Beth said, “Individuals commit crimes—not genders” or in my case, sub-genders classified under Males—SMU.  The longer I let myself live in bitterness, the more I ruin the sweetness I could taste in my life right at this moment.
So to you SMU guys, I’m so sorry.  There are honorable, faithful guys all over that campus and I was wrong to hold so much bitterness toward an entire group of people…didn’t make me much different from those people who hate gun owners.  Here’s some advice: instead of getting defensive when a girl says, “all guys are evil,” show her otherwise.  Respect her. Honor her.  But by all means, still be a man!
To women, I can’t say it enough.  There are so many amazing guys out there, but there are only a few who will ruin all your experiences with men if you allow them to do so.  Respect yourself.  Sometimes the reasons we hate men are because we’ve lost our self-respect.  Males and females may not always understand each other, but that’s one of the things that makes life so comical.  We can laugh and roll our eyes at them when they ask us to pull their finger and be okay when they laugh at us when we cry for no reason.  It’s fun. It’s not sexist.  That’s life, and I’m so blessed to be livin’ it.  I love you so!                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog