Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sunny Weather, Rainy Mood

Wow. That's all I can say about today. Right now the only thing on my mind is the Berry Family. Please please keep them in your prayers, or your thoughts, whatever your belief is. Dan was an amazing man and he always treated me like his granddaughter. I can't believe all the cowboys are leaving us. I think that's what really hurts the most. Daddy, Uncle Tommy, Richard, Big D, Ken, Bill, Greg, Kelly, all you guys, I promise I won't let you down when it's my turn. There's nothing like growing up where and how I did and I can't thank y'all enough for making me who I am.

I miss it all, but Bert Fisher just reminded me of something. "You can leave the ranch, but it never leaves you." No matter how many skinny little bodies or oversized LV purses I see, I will never be one of those girls. I'll never stop trying to impress my Daddy and I will never stop being my Mommy's stubborn baby. I'll never forget how it feels to ride through Home Pasture at five in the morning, freezing my tail off, then almost crying because watching the sun come up is so dang beautiful. I'll never ever be afraid to get my hands dirty and I'll never ever think replacing Michael Jordan's knee is near as much fun as replacing a busted union at the mill at Pipeline. Never ever will a boy in a foreign car impress me, but that boy in the big Chevy's got me hooked. I will never be trashy and act like I'm better than you, but I will always invite you in, because there's no telling where you came from. My grandpas will always be my heroes because they're the ones who fought to make sure their country-girl grandaughter would be able to go to SMU and pursue a medical degree. I won't ever look up to Paris Hilton. What has she done to make my life any better?

At some point in my life, every cowboy told me, "Never forget where you came from." That's something you don't have to worry about me doing. I have no problem with saying "Yes ma'am" or "No sir" and I have no doubt in my mind that a smile can brighten your day. Oh, and if you're a bettin' kind of person, you can bet that I'll work the hardest. No contest. I am this way because I know where I came from. I'll never forget how much Ghee tought me about being myself and loving every single damn minute of life. And I'll never forget how Pappaw tought me to always live a life grounded in faith and directed in such a way that my actions both deserve and demand respect. That's where I came from, and I'll never forget that place. Though I'm losing my cowboys, they'll always be here. No need to worry about that.

I love you Dan. With you AND Wilma up there, the angels better have a damn tight grip on their halos.

Jennie Lee

3 comments:

  1. Well, I've read your blog again and thought I could do it without crying. Wrong! It's beautifully written and a wonderful tribute to your parents, your grandfathers, Dan Berry, and ALL the cowboys. Thank you, Jen. I love you and am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie......
    AWESOME job! You can take the girl off the ranch, but you can't take the ranch outta the girl!!! Roots run really deep! And memories are precious! Blessings on whatever you put your hand to!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog