Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Git 'r Done

Yesterday I decided I needed to start a bucket list...for real.  I realized there are so many things I want to do with my life but I never wrote them down.  Because I love an adrenaline rush, I feel like leaving something out or forgetting I wanted to do something would just be really bad. 

As I was making my bucket list, I realized something else: I have a lot of lofty goals.  I mean, sure I want to sky dive, bungee jump, hang glide, all that fun stuff.  However, there are a ton of far-off places I want to go, big things I want to do, and huge career goals I want to achieve.  I know my bucket list probably isn't too different from everyone else's because we all want to do big things with our lives.  I mean, we're not here just to sit around and watch everyone else.   

So now you're asking, "So what? You made a bucket list.  Big deal."  But there's more to making a bucket list than just dreaming up some goals and writing them down.  The thing is, if you want to achieve those goals, they're not just going to fall in place and achieve themselves.  My bucket list made me realize it's not too early to start working on those goals.  I'm only 20, but if I want to get some of those things done before my joints give out, I'm going to have to start now. 

On another note, that bucket list doesn't have to be a plan to save the world.  I kept asking myself last night, "What makes me happy?"  I laughed as I wrote because to someone else, my list probably seems pretty dumb.  The things on my list are things that drive me, things that make me want to be a better person and the best at what I do.  However, the list is also a compilation of things I want to do for and with other people to keep me humble. 

So don't get me wrong.  I'm a big believer in taking some time just to be quiet and relax.  But I can't live my life just sitting back and being quiet.  So here's a challenge for you: make some noise.  No, that doesn't necessarily mean protesting outside the Supreme Court for or against some big issue.  To me, making noise means stirring up your own life.  Believe it or not, you'll make a stand for something, even if it's discreet and indirect.  Be the action, not just the words.  Fill your life with goals and ambitions and don't be afraid to achieve them, but still take the time to be quiet and listen.  God is more than willing to help you with your direction. 

If you're not ready to start working toward those lifetime goals, start with today.  Shoot, start with this morning. Set some goals and get them done.  You're only stuck in the mundane if you allow yourself to get caught up in what's happening right now.  Track your progress and look forward to making the next day better (or the next hour, if we're taking baby steps).  It's never...ever too late to start on goals.   

Me? I'm going to continue working on that list and I really don't care if it gets ridiculously long or elaborate.  I'm going to set goals that fit me, not what someone else wants me to be.  As I achieve something on the list don't worry, I'll let you know.  This is going to be a ton of fun.  Let's get 'r done.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog